It is normal for us to seek treatment for a medical condition once we experience its signs and symptoms. However, some diseases do not show noticeable signs until they have reached an advanced stage. Glaucoma is one eye condition that does not readily come with noticeable signs and symptoms until it already warns of irreversible optic nerve damage.
Just to keep things at bay, know the warning signs associated with glaucoma and consult an eye doctor immediately.
- Having unusual trouble adjusting to dark environments
- Blinking or squinting more than often due to an unusual sensitivity to glare or bright lights
- A change in the color of the iris
- Redness, swelling, and crusting on the eyelids
- Having double vision
- Having trouble focusing on both near and distant objects
- Noticing a dark spot at the center of vision
- Pain that recurs in areas in or around the eyes
- Having distorted or wavy images especially when seeing lines and edges
- Having watery eyes or excessive tearing
- A feeling of burning or persistent itching in the eyes
- Noticing ghost-like images in the line of vision and seeing irritating spots
While these symptoms could indicate a certain eye disorder or glaucoma, the following symptoms may indicate a more serious problem or a worsened stage of glaucoma.
- A sudden loss of sight in one eye
- Noticing black spots and flashes of light
- Vision suddenly becoming blurred or hazy
- Noticing rainbows or halos around light
If you experience any of these symptoms, it is best to have your eyes checked by a reliable eye doctor such as Dr. Thom right away. Don’t wait until your condition worsens! Call us today at 701-235-5200 to book an appointment with Dr. Thom!