The eyes are very fragile. A single condition left untreated can lead to damages that are beyond repair. Because of this it is always a good idea to prevent such unfortunate conditions by taking proper measures to keep your eyes healthy. Macular degeneration, which could be acquired genetically or through the natural process of aging, is highly preventable.
Here are some tips to keep your eyes in tip-top shape. For those who are already diagnosed with age-related macular degeneration, follow these guidelines to slow the progression of the disease.
- Don’t smoke. If you do, quit. Smoking is a risk factor.
- Consume dark, leafy vegetables. Eating half a cup of raw spinach three times a week can greatly improve the condition of your eyes.
- To supplement your healthy diet, take multivitamins.
- Patients with AMD may ask their doctors for treatments under AREDS formulations.
- Consuming fruit and nuts on a daily basis keeps your eyes bright and healthy.
- Exercise is key. Keep your body moving regularly and maintain a stable and healthy weight.
- Lower your intake of food with refined carbohydrates.
- Eating fish or fish oil supplements is good for your eyes.
- When going outdoors, make sure to wear appropriate sunglasses, particularly those that will block the damaging UV rays of the sun. Direct exposure to sunlight can greatly damage your eyes.
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control.
- Visit your eye doctor regularly and have regular eye exams. Early detection of eye diseases leads to early treatment and better results.
Let Dr. Thom take a look at the condition of your eyes. Call us today at 701-235-5200 to request a consultation with Dr. Thom.